Cork gardaí files case with DPP in case of man charged with cybercrimes after FBI investigation

The garda file has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions in the case against a 40-year-old man charged in Cork with alleged cybercrimes following an investigation here and by the FBI in America.

Suleman Mazhar, who was previously from Moneygourney, Douglas, Cork, appeared in Cork District Court via video link from jail.

Sergeant John Kelleher said: ‘The file has been sent to the DPP. We await instructions. Joseph Cuddigan, defense counsel, said the accused was in custody but had been released on bail by the High Court.

He said the defendant was unable to raise bail money which required the sum of €5,500 in cash and an independent bond of €5,000. “He’s not in a position to get those finances,” Mr Cuddigan said.

Judge Olann Kelleher remanded the accused in custody on consent to bail until July 27.

Sergeant Wesley Kenny objected to bail when the case came to Cork District Court. He said the prosecution believed that if the defendant was released on bail, he would go straight to a computer, shut down websites and effectively destroy the evidence against him.

The accused, originally from Pakistan, arrived in Ireland in 2002 and has Irish nationality and an Irish passport. He said he was unemployed but had worked in finance and IT in Ireland.

The charges allege he had a chip card reader for making fake financial instruments at a house in Railway Street, Passage West, County Cork, that he had 52 plastic cards embedded with smart chips and magnetic stripes and a final charge of alleged money laundering. between August 2020 and July 2021.

Sgt Kenny said their investigation into alleged cryptocurrency transfers saw the defendant allegedly involved in more than 2,000 transactions involving $346,000 over a one-year period.

The defendant testified that he bought five bitcoins at €109 each and their value peaked at €62,000 each. He said he was on jobseeker’s allowance.