Similar to Microsoft Office’s Excel, the Numbers app (part of the iWord suite) is the default program for opening and editing spreadsheets on Apple devices.
Opening a numbers file is as easy as it gets if you’re using an Apple device and have the Numbers app installed on your system.
However, it is not a simple process when you want to open it on systems other than iOS and macOS. One way to open a numbers file is to export it to a format like Excel and use that. But, there are better alternatives.
Let’s look at various other methods you can use to open a number file.
How do I open a Numbers file in Windows?
Although you cannot directly open or edit a number file in Windows, you can use various workarounds.
You can export Numbers file from Mac or iPhone in Excel format. Then you should be able to open the spreadsheet in Excel or other applications.
Also, you can use iCloud, online conversion tools, and a compatible app to open the numbers file on Windows.
Nevertheless, keep reading further to know more in detail.
You can use iCloud to open a number file and even export it to a different format after editing it. However, you must have an iCloud account.
- Go to the iCloud official site and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Now open the Numbers application.
- Then click on the download icon (looks like a small cloud icon with an up arrow).
- Navigate to the file location and open the file.
- Wait for the download to complete.
- Open the numbers file.
Also, if you want to convert it, you can do it as follows.
- Open the Numbers app on iCloud.
- Select the file of numbers and click on the After icon on it. Then select the Download a copy option.
- You can also open the spreadsheet, click the Tool the icon and select the icon Download a copy option.
- On the Choose a download format prompt, select your preferred format.
- Wait for the download to complete and navigate to the file in your default downloads folder.
Use of compatible third-party software
The Numbers app is exclusively for Apple users. So, if you are using another operating system like Windows, you cannot edit a digital document with Office applications like Excel or Word.
However, you can use a third-party application like LibreOffice compatible with the Numbers file to open and edit it.
Convert and export Numbers file
To open a number file, you can convert it and export it to your preferred format. The Numbers app itself offers an option to do this. Here’s how you can do it from a Mac or iPhone device.
- Open the Numbers application.
- Click it Case top menu.
- Hover over Export to and choose a format (PDF, Excel, CSV) according to your preference.
- Choose a file name and save it to your desired location on your system.
- Finally, click on the Export button.
- Open the Numbers app. You can install it from App store if you don’t have it.
- Navigate to the document you want to convert/export and open it.
- Then press the After icon (three horizontal dots inside a circle) in the upper right corner.
- Then select the Export option.
- Choose a format you want, like Excel, CSV, PDF or other and press Do.
- Save it to your device.
Use the collaboration feature
Although you can convert a numbers file and export it to a different format, it is quite repetitive to edit it. You need to import the file, modify it and export it again in a different format to open it on the non-Apple system.
Fortunately, there is a better alternative. You can use the Numbers app’s built-in collaboration feature, which allows multiple users to work on the same numbers file simultaneously.
- Open the Numbers file you are working on.
- Save the file (Command + S) to a preferred location.
- Click it Collaborate button (person with plus icon) in the upper right corner.
- Choose how you want to share. Also, extend the Sharing Options to specify different permissions (view only or edit) and secure them with a password.
- Then click on To share.
Use online conversion tools
You can use different conversion tools available on the web to open a file of numbers. Open one of these sites and export your numbers file there. Then convert it to a preferred format such as XLS/XLSX for Excel, PDF or any other. Finally, download the output file and use it on your system.
Additionally, some sites even allow you to edit a number file from within the site. First, you upload your number file to the site. Then edit the file and export it to your PC when you’re done.
To note: If you have a sensitive document, we do not recommend this method because the site could access your files. Instead, you can explore several other options in the article.
How to open a Numbers file on Mac/iPhone/iPad?
As mentioned earlier, it is easy to open a numbers file on Apple devices.
On Mac, you can either double click on the numbers file to open it. Similarly, right-click the numbers file, hover over Open with, and select Numbers.
On your iPhone, just tap the numbers file on your device. Or open the Numbers app and access all your spreadsheets from there.
How to fix Numbers file not opening?
If the Numbers spreadsheet appears grayed out, chances are it cannot be opened with the Numbers app.
On the other hand, using an older version of Numbers may cause problems when opening the file. Most users were able to open the Numbers file after updating their Numbers app.
Here’s how you can update it.
- Hurry Ordered + space bar to open Spotlight search.
- Then search for “App store” and open it.
- Click on Updates in the left pane.
- Now click Update next to the Numbers app in the right pane.
- Reopen the number file and see if it works as expected.
- Open the App store.
- Then press the profile icon in the upper right corner.
- Press the Update next to the Numbers app.
- Download and install the update.
- Check if you can open the file now.